One in three older private renters living in unsuitable housing

Half a million older people are living in rented accommodation and are being overlooked by policy on housing and older people, revealed a new report.

Older renters are more likely to report cold and damp if it were to appear, a new report from Independent Age claimed that one in three older private renters felt as if their accommodation was not suitable.

Twice as many private renters aged 65+ said they have cold and damp in their homes, compared with older homeowners.

Research also claimed that older renters are more likely to pay for adaptations themselves, rather than their landlord.

If you have experienced damp and decay within your rented home, contact your landlord to report repairs. It is their responsibility to keep your home to a suitable standard of safety and to maintain repairs.

Whilst your landlord is not obliged to renovate your home, they should sort out issues such as rotting window frames, rather than double glazing.

Sound familiar?

Has disrepair led to ill health? Contact your council’s environmental health department to inspect your home. Evidence will need to be provided however, if serious enough your landlord will become legally required to carry out those specific repairs.

If your property is damaged due to disrepair, you can claim compensation. If you need to claim compensation later on, it could be important to show that your landlord was aware of the disrepair, so it’s always a good idea to get the complaint in writing. To back up your claim, take photographs of the damage and keep receipts for anything you’ve had to replace.

To see if you have a housing disrepair claim, call today on 08000 93 93 92.

Start your claim today with our online claim form

Make a claim in minutes with our online claim form, and a member of our team will be in touch to make sure your details are correct and if you want to proceed with your claim.

powered by Typeform

Request a callback