Zebra Crossing News from Around the World
- 15-year-old girl killed by car while crossing street in Cardiff, Wales. Driver arrested.
- Keely’s parents and teachers remember her as a bright and happy student. Community holds vigil and sets up GoFundMe page.
- Mayor of Woluwe-Saint-Pierre criticizes Brussels government for painting zebra crossings with LGBTQ+ rainbow flag.
- Pedestrian narrowly avoids being hit by traffic twice in Malta. Dashcam footage shows driver braking in time.
- Zebra crossing to be installed at accident blackspot in suburban Preston after five injury-causing collisions.
15-Year-Old Keely Morgan Killed by Car While Crossing Street
Keely Morgan, 15, was killed by a car while crossing the street in Cardiff, Wales, on May 1. She was hit by a black Vauxhall Astra. She died at the scene.
The driver of the car, a 40-year-old man, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by driving. He is currently in police custody.
Keely’s Family and Friends React
Keely’s parents said she had a “beautiful smile” that lit up the room. Her teachers described her as an “exceptional student” who loved school.
- “She was a beautiful smile that lit up the room,” said Keely’s mother. “She was always so happy and loved to make people laugh.”
- “She was an exceptional student who loved school,” said Keely’s teacher. “She was always eager to learn and was always willing to help others.”
The community was shocked and saddened by Keely’s death. A vigil was held in her memory on Saturday night, and a GoFundMe page was set up to help her family with funeral costs.
Mayor Criticizes Brussels Government over Rainbow Zebra Crossings
The mayor of Woluwe-Saint-Pierre, Benoît Cerexhe, criticized the Region of Brussels-Capital for painting zebra crossings with the LGBTQ+ rainbow flag in his municipality.
Cerexhe went on Facebook to criticize the Brussels government on Saturday after noticing the overnight change to a crossing on the Montgomery roundabout.
“I do not believe that zebra crossings, with their primary purpose of providing pedestrians with safety, should be used to “support causes” of any kind,” said Cerexhe.
Pedestrian Narrowly Avoids Being Hit by Traffic Twice
A pedestrian narrowly avoided being hit by traffic twice in a video that was captured last night in Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, Malta.
The dashcam footage was captured last night along the Coast Road in Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq at around 8:16pm.
“I was driving along the coast road last night, close to the Salini hotel,” said Bojan, who captured the footage. “I was lucky to see the pedestrian crossing the road early enough that I was able to hit the brakes (and the horn) in time to slow from 64km per hour to around 30km per hour.”
Zebra Crossing to ‘Finally’ Be Installed at Accident Blackspot in Suburban Preston
A zebra crossing is set to be installed at an accident blackspot in suburban Preston – a decade after safety measures were first called for at the location.
The crossing will be installed after five injury-causing collisions.
Lancashire County Council’s cabinet has given the go-ahead to the new pedestrian facility on Cadley Causeway, in Fulwood, outside St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church. The raised crossing point will be put in place just east of the junction with Mill Lane – and will require the relocation of a speed camera which currently covers that exact spot.
“We are pleased to be able to install this new zebra crossing,” said a spokesperson for Lancashire County Council. “We hope that it will help to make the road safer for pedestrians.”
Call 0800 29 800 29 or WhatsApp +44 7901 558 530 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Claim Today have been assisting clients since 1999 the claim time is now
Accident or Injury Claim Today Backing you 100% since 1999