If you are a pedestrian who has been hit by a car, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses. The amount of compensation you can receive will depend on the severity of your injuries, the extent of your financial losses, and the circumstances of the accident.
Types of Compensation
In general, you can claim for the following types of compensation:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of your medical care, such as hospital bills, doctor’s fees, and prescription drugs.
- Lost income: This includes the money you would have earned if you had not been injured.
- Pain and suffering: This is compensation for the physical and emotional pain you have experienced as a result of the accident.
- Loss of amenities: This is compensation for the things you can no longer do as a result of your injuries, such as playing sports or spending time with your family.
The amount of compensation you receive will vary depending on the severity of your injuries and the extent of your losses. However, the average pay-out for a pedestrian accident in the UK is around £20,000.
How to Ensure Proper and Full Compensation
To maximize and ensure the most money you can get after being hit by a car as a pedestrian in the UK:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor. This will document your injuries and make it easier to claim compensation later on.
- Report the accident to the police. The police will create a report of the accident, which can be used as evidence in your claim.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses. Witnesses can provide valuable testimony about the accident, which can help you to strengthen your claim.
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene. This will help to document the damage to your property and the injuries you sustained.
- Save all of your medical bills and other expenses related to the accident. These expenses can be used to support your claim for compensation.
- Get legal advice as soon as possible. A personal injury solicitor can help you to understand your legal rights and to make a claim for compensation.
By following these tips, you can maximize your chances of getting the most money possible after being hit by a car as a pedestrian in the UK.
- Be prepared to provide evidence of your injuries, such as medical records, photographs, and witness statements.
- Be clear and concise when describing the accident and its effects on your life.
- Be realistic about your expectations. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of your losses.
- Be patient. It can take time to settle a personal injury claim.